BEFORE THE BOARD OF MILK CONTROL
OF THE STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the amendment of ARM 32.24.450 milk control assessments
NOTICE OF PROPOSED AMENDMENT
NO PUBLIC HEARING CONTEMPLATED
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. The Board of Milk Control (board), which is administratively attached to the Department of Livestock, proposes to amend the above-stated rule.
2. The Department of Livestock will make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who wish to participate in the rulemaking process or need an alternative accessible format of this notice. If you require an accommodation, contact the Department of Livestock no later than 5:00 p.m. on December 11, 2020 to advise us of the nature of the accommodation that you need. Please contact the Department of Livestock, 301 N. Roberts St., Room 308, P.O. Box 202001, Helena, MT 59620-2001; telephone: (406) 444-9321; TTD number: (800) 253-4091; fax: (406) 444-1929; e-mail: MDOLcomments@mt.gov.
3. The rule as proposed to be amended provides as follows, new matter underlined, deleted matter interlined:
32.24.450 MILK CONTROL ASSESSMENTS (1) Pursuant to 81-23-202, MCA, the following assessments are levied upon the Act licensees of this department for the purpose of securing funds to administer and enforce the Act.
(a) A fee of $0.05250
$0.055 per hundredweight, with no assessment for fees less than $5.00 per month, on the total volume of all milk subject to the Act produced and sold by a producer-distributor.
(b) A fee of $0.02625
$0.0275 per hundredweight, with no assessment for fees less than $5.00 per month, on the total volume of all milk subject to the Act sold by a producer.
(c) A fee of $0.02625
$0.0275 per hundredweight, with no assessment for fees less than $5.00 per month, on the total volume of milk subject to the Act sold by a distributor, excepting that which is sold to another distributor. If the distributor is foreign, the assessment must be paid either by the foreign distributor or by the import jobber.
(2) through (6) remain the same.
AUTH: 81-23-102, 81-23-104, 81-23-202, MCA
IMP: 81-1-102, 81-23-103, 81-23-202, MCA
REASON: The board proposes to amend the above-stated rule:
- to raise sufficient revenue to provide for the administration of Title 81, chapter 23, MCA, as proposed for Fiscal Year 2022; and
- to ensure assessments are commensurate with the costs as required by 81-1-102(2), MCA, while maintaining a reasonable cash balance in the related special revenue fund to ensure solvency.
The proposed amendments to ARM 32.24.450 would affect approximately 109 businesses licensed by the Milk Control Bureau.
The proposed assessment rates would decrease milk control assessment revenue by approximately $10,735.
4. The board intends to adopt the proposed amendment effective July 1, 2021.
5. Concerned persons may submit their data, views, or arguments in writing concerning the proposed action to the Executive Officer, Department of Livestock, 301 N. Roberts St., Room 308, P.O. Box 202001, Helena, MT 59620-2001, by faxing to (406) 444-1929, or by e-mailing to MDOLcomments@mt.gov to be received no later than 5:00 p.m., December 18, 2020.
6. If persons who are directly affected by the proposed action wish to express their data, views, or arguments orally or in writing at a public hearing, they must make a written request for a hearing and submit this request along with any written comments they have to the same address as in 5 above. The written request for hearing must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., December 18, 2020.
7. If the department receives requests for a public hearing on the proposed action from either 10 percent or 25, whichever is less, of the persons who are directly affected by the proposed action; from the appropriate administrative rule review committee of the Legislature; from a governmental subdivision or agency; or from an association having not less than 25 members who will be directly affected, a public hearing will be held at a later date. Notice of the public hearing will be published in the Montana Administrative Register. Ten percent of those persons directly affected has been determined to be 11, based upon there being approximately 109 businesses licensed by the Milk Control Bureau that are currently operating.
8. The department maintains a list of interested persons who wish to receive notices of rulemaking actions proposed by this agency. Persons who wish to have their name added to the list shall make a written request that includes the name, e-mail, and mailing address of the person to receive notices and specifies for which program the person wishes to receive notices. Notices will be sent by e-mail unless a mailing preference is noted in the request. Such written request may be mailed or delivered to the contact person in 5 above or may be made by completing a request form at any rules hearing held by the department.
9. The bill sponsor contact requirements of 2-4-302, MCA, do not apply.
10. With regard to the requirements of 2-4-111, MCA, the department has determined that the amendment of the above-referenced rule will not significantly and directly impact small businesses.
/s/ W. Scott Mitchell /s/ Cinda Young-Eichenfels
W. Scott Mitchell Cinda Young-Eichenfels
Chair Rule Reviewer
Board of Milk Control Department of Livestock
Certified to the Secretary of State November 10, 2020.