24.121.1509 IMPLEMENTS, INSTRUMENTS, SUPPLIES, AND EQUIPMENT
(1) It is the responsibility of all licensees to ensure that the machines and devices they are using fall within their scope of practice.
(2) All machines, devices, implements, shelves, tables, sinks, and other equipment used in connection with the operation of a salon, shop, or school must be:
(a) constructed to be easily cleaned; and
(b) in sanitary and safe conditions at all times.
(3) Salons, shops, and schools must maintain copies of the manufacturers'/owners' manuals on-site for all equipment in service.
(4) Only electric file machines specifically manufactured for use in the nail industry are allowed to be used in nail services. Modified craft or hobby tools are prohibited.
(a) Only bits specifically manufactured for use on the natural nail plate shall be used on the natural nail.
(b) Metal bits and disposable sanding bands made specifically for use on natural nail may be used in that manner and may be used on the acrylic surface covering the nail.
(5) Only microdermabrasion machines specifically manufactured for use in esthetics services are permitted. Modified or medical machines may not be used.
(a) Microdermabrasion machines for use in esthetics services must be:
(i) closed systems only;
(ii) kept in sanitary and safe conditions at all times; and
(iii) used only in accordance with specific manufacturer directions.
(b) Solid or liquid abrasives used in microdermabrasion machines are for single-use purpose only and shall be discarded after each use in accordance with federal, state, and local disposal regulations.
(c) The use of abrasive tips are allowed if used and sterilized in accordance with specific manufacturer directions.
(d) Single-use plastic tips are allowed to be used in microdermabrasion machines and must be disposed of after each use.
(e) Microdermabrasion machines must be maintained and filters changed in accordance with OSHA and manufacturer requirements.
(6) Any and all implements, equipment, and instruments used to perform dermaplane and dermabrasion procedures including but not limited to blades, knives, scalpels, wires, and diamond friezes are prohibited. This does not include single-use lancets used during noninvasive procedures.
(7) The use of laser energy, as prescribed in ARM 24.156.501 as "any procedure in which human tissue is cut or altered by mechanical or energy forms, including electrical or laser energy or ionizing radiation" constitutes the practice of medicine and is prohibited for all individuals licensed under this chapter.
(8) The use of roller or roll-on waxing systems is prohibited.
(9) The use of any teeth whitening products is prohibited.
History: 37-1-131, 37-31-203, 37-31-204, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-31-203, 37-31-204, 37-31-312, MCA; NEW, 2005 MAR p. 262, Eff. 11/19/04; AMD, 2008 MAR p. 382, Eff. 2/29/08; AMD, 2010 MAR p. 1402, Eff. 6/11/10; AMD, 2010 MAR p. 2378, Eff. 10/15/10; AMD, 2015 MAR p. 1198, Eff. 8/14/15; AMD, 2017 MAR p. 221, Eff. 2/18/17; AMD, 2018 MAR p. 1605, Eff. 8/11/18.