37.99.160 PRIVATE ALTERNATIVE ADOLESCENT RESIDENTIAL PROGRAMS: MEDICATION STORAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
(1) A program must have written policies and procedures regarding the storage, administration, and disposal of prescription, nonprescription, and over-the-counter medication.
(2) All medication must be kept in a locked nonportable container, stored in its original container with the original prescription label. For medications taken on outings, all medication must be in the possession of a staff member trained to assist with the self-administration of medications.
(3) Staff who assist with self-administration must be trained to assist in proper medication procedures. Training must be documented in each staff member's personnel file.
(4) All prescription medications must be ordered by licensed health care professionals working within the scope of their practice. All prescription orders must contain the dosage to be given.
(5) Psychotropic medication is prohibited unless a licensed health care professional working within the scope of that professional's practice determines that the medications are clinically indicated.
(6) Under no circumstances may psychotropic or any other prescription or over-the-counter medication be given for disciplinary purposes, for the convenience of the staff, or as a substitute for other appropriate treatment services.
(7) A written record of all medications administered to a program participant must be maintained and include:
(a) program participant's name;
(b) name and dosage of the medication;
(c) the date and time the medication was taken or was refused by the program participant;
(d) name of the staff member who assisted in the self-administration of the medication; and
(e) documentation of any medication errors, results of errors, and any effects observed.
(8) Prescribed medication may not be stopped or changed in dosage or administration without first consulting with a licensed health care professional. Results of the consultation must be recorded in the medication record.
(9) Parent/legal guardian must be notified of all medications prescribed to program participant including medication changes. Documentation of notification must be maintained in the medication record.
(10) All unused and expired medication must be properly disposed of and documented in the medication record.
History: 52-2-803, 52-2-805, MCA; IMP, 52-2-803, 52-2-805, 52-2-809, MCA; NEW, 2019 MAR p. 2029, Eff. 11/9/19.